Mario M. Leitao, Jr., MD,
NY, United States
I am a board-certified gynecologic oncologist who specializes in surgery for women with ovarian, endometrial, cervical, vulvar, or vaginal cancer.
I have a strong interest in providing minimally invasive surgical options for our patients, including both laparoscopic and robotic-assisted procedures. In 2006, I became one of the first gynecologic oncologists to use the da Vinci® Surgical System to perform robotically-assisted procedures in women with benign and malignant gynecologic conditions. Minimally invasive procedures result in less blood loss than do traditional surgeries, allowing for shorter hospital stays and faster recuperation time for patients. I serve as the Director for the Minimal Access and Robotic Surgery Program in the Department of Surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering and have helped to build one of the best and most experienced robotic surgery programs in the world across multiple surgical specialties.
I also perform radical procedures via traditional laparotomy in cases when these more-traditional surgeries may provide better results and longer survival. These include debulking for ovarian cancer and radical procedures for other gynecologic cancers. Additionally, using the robotic approach, I perform fertility-sparing surgery (radical trachelectomy) for women with early-stage cervical cancer. I continue to seek ways to improve outcomes for my patients and continuously seek to evaluate cutting edge technologies in surgery.
I also have a strong interest in clinical research. Research is vital for development of better treatments for all patients diagnosed with cancer. People with cancer face a difficult journey, and clinical trials are just one of the tools I offer my patients to help them during this time. I serve as the principal investigator at Memorial Sloan Kettering for the Gynecologic Oncology Group — a national group conducting quality cooperative research at many institutions throughout the country.
In 2004, I completed my fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering and received the Michael E. Burt Memorial Award for Clinical Excellence. I then became Director of Gynecologic Services at the New Jersey Medical School, where I received the National Faculty Award from the Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology. I joined the Memorial Sloan Kettering staff in 2007. I am a member of many medical societies and the author of peer-reviewed scientific articles, chapters, and reviews.
I am at the Main Campus in Manhattan Monday through Thursday, and I see patients every Friday at our Basking Ridge, New Jersey, location.
• Clinical Expertise: Minimally invasive procedures (including robotics) for patients with gynecologic malignancies and other complex benign gynecologic conditions; fertility-sparing radical trachelectomy using minimally invasive surgery or robotics; uterine sarcomas; other gynecologic malignancies
• Awards and Honors: Castle Connolly: New York Magazine Top Doctors (2017)
• Languages Spoken: English
• Education: MD, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey/Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
• Residencies: Obstetrics and Gynecology – Beth Israel Medical Center
• Fellowships: Gynecologic Oncology – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
• Board Certifications: Obstetrics and Gynecology; Gynecologic Oncology